Tuesday 23 November 2010

Do Ho Suh, "Bridging Home"

Tuesday 23 November 2010

I can’t count how many times I have walked past this work in town and have never paid it any attention. I feel the idea of the building being held up by two others fascinating but the way it has been executed questionable. When first looking at the slanted Korean style building I couldn’t help but think to myself that it was false, the way there was a blockade in front preventing us from getting too close to the work made me feel disconnected. I would have liked to stand underneath it, to feel what it was like to see a building over me that looked like it could fall down any moment. (Probably why the barricade was there in the first place) I feel that this may have made the work really push itself into the environment rather than being an obvious temporary structure. I think I wish that someone lived inside the building however impractical that would be, to bring the building to life.

I do like the work however, I like how the building is different to a lot of the buildings in town, how it is slanted and in a way I like how it is hidden between two buildings, part of me wishes it was more on display but another part of me likes the intimacy of it being almost hidden.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hannah B © 2014