Wednesday 2 February 2011

Being self employed

Wednesday 2 February 2011
The fact is, is that I've always seen myself working for other people. I don't think it's to do with not having ambition to 'rise to the top' so to speak, I think it's just that I'm perfectly happy to take orders. Even when I worked as a cleaner I would be happy just getting on with any task that was given to me even if it was more than most people were given, it was a satisfying feeling knowing that I had done my job properly and that I didn't have to 'think' too much about the work I guess.
What I enjoyed about it was the reliability, I knew I'd get paid at the same time every month, and I knew I was always needed to work and that I could do a good job.
What's scary about art is that it's not always seen as needed by people. It's not going to be a reliable career path, a steady career path, but it's always been where my talent has turned to, ever since I was little making my little clay elephants, my teachers would say I was talented in the arts, so that's where I went. Somehow my world became all about creating the best pieces of works I could, I would look at art and think.. I could do something like that, one day, so I kept trying and trying to better myself, to build up my skills, to one day become an artist who made works and thought 'that's great' instead of 'I could do better' or 'there's so many artists more talented than me'.
What I'm trying to say in a long winded kind of way is that the lecture on being self employed really got me to thinking about what I want out of a career, a job. I want to be stable, to have a reliable source of income, to contribute to society. I don't expect to be rich, but I don't want to not be able to support myself, I want to be independent, but still have the cushion of support from a stable career. I guess I'm just writing about what I'm feeling at the moment, I think the above is what the majority of the population wants, a stable life.
Most of the lecture was on accounts, how to apply to become self employed, I'm a bit surprised it made me think so much about where I want to be in the future, how I'm going to get there.
Juan (my university tutor) sent me an email the other day about applying for an internship with Disney, it sounds pretty perfect so I think I'm going to apply for it, it involves games and art, two of my favourite things, so fingers crossed I can make something worth sending for my application. It would be amazing to get that kind of opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hannah B © 2014